24 August 2009

Audio Flashback

Mia madre called this morning (waking me from my slumbers) to tell me exciting news: in cleaning out my bookshelf, she came across a mixed tape--not CD, mind you--from the summer of 1998. She read me every song and artist, and the tape is a veritable Whos Who of the 90s.

CoOl SoNgZ SuMmEr 1998 (approximation of my 6th grade handwriting)
  1. Crush--Jennifer Paige
  2. The Boy is Mine--Brandy & Monica
  3. You're Still the One--Shania Twain
  4. Cruel Summer--Ace of Base
  5. How do I Live?--LeAnn Rimes
  6. Nice and Slow--Usher
  7. Love You Down--Inoj
  8. One Week--Barenaked Ladies
  9. My All--Mariah Carey
  10. I Don't Want to Miss a Thing--Aerosmith
  11. Daydreamin--Tatyana Ali
  12. Sex and Candy--Marcy Playground
  13. Ghetto Superstar--Pras
  14. Tubthumpin--Chumbawumba
  15. I Want You Back--*Nsync
  16. When the Lights Go Out--Five
  17. Truly Madly Deeply--Savage Garden
  18. This Kiss--Faith Hill
  19. Quit Playin Games--Backstreet Boys
  20. I'll Be--Edwin McCain
  21. Foolish Games--Jewell
  22. Gettin Jiggy Wit It--Will Smith
Does anyone else remember listening to all these songs the summer of '98 in the backyard with a fugly boombox? I think I had my Nickelodeon ghettoblaster tuned to Z100 24 hours a day that summer. If forced, I could sing every single one of these songs (maybe most of them are on my iTunes). Don't use this knowledge against me if I am drunk at a karaoke bar. Please.

Yes, it's true, I honestly owned this gem of a music-player. My coolness started early in life.

No comments: