26 August 2010

"Mickey Lies. Dreams Don't Come True"

Thus sayeth "Kiran" a four-year-old boy from St. Louis who is the subject of the NYT's article "Can Preschoolers Be Drepressed?" . I'm sure I should be concerned for the future of this child, but really, I'm just entertained by his one-liners. BFF Liz google chatted me some of his gems this morning, and I've been re-reading them ever since.

When Raghu and Elizabeth reminded a downbeat Kiran of their coming trip to Disney World, Kiran responded: “Mickey lies. Dreams don’t come true.”

After toying with a new set of Legos, he told his father, “I can’t do Legos.” He then roundly declared: “I will never do them. I am not a Legos person. You should take them away.”

“My parents care a lot about me,” the first puppet said in an upbeat tone.
“My parents don’t care a lot about me,” the second said in an equally cheerful voice. “How about you?”

Sometimes they care about me,” the boy replied, and then paused. “They don’t care a lot about me,” he added with emphasis.

Actually, the whole article is rather, er, depressing and fascinating, but if you just look for Kiran's quotes, you'll probably be super entertained...And now I'm going to hell.

No comments: