18 November 2008

I'm neurotic

I'm a Lit major, so I like words and the sounds and images they produce. But I have to admit that I am terrified by certain words, some because of how they sound and some because of their connotation. If you want to be a part of Team Lara, you won't use these words around me:

  1. Moist. I know, I know, this is everyone's LFW (least favorite word). No one on earth, not even non-English speakers who don't know its connotation, could possibly like this word.
  2. Culot. Yes, I mean the article of clothing often worn by young girls in the early '90s. I just don't like the way it sounds. It's too close to cutlet, and I don't like the idea of wearing meat on my legs.
  3. Chunk. Again, this is more about the sound than anything else.
  4. Skotch (as in, move over a skotch). I've found that most people are fortunate enough to never have heard this word. Unfortunetly for me, my 12th grade biology teacher used it quite often. One reason I dislike it is due to an unfortunate dissecting incident in which my teacher told me to adjust my rat's skin flap* "just a skotch" so I could see its intestines better. *Cross-referenced with #9.
  5. Ointment. Why would you ever want to rub something with such a disgusting name on your skin?
  6. Grind. This is perhaps because I never know what it's past tense form should be: ground, grinded, grounded--none of the possibilities sound correct.
  7. Balmy. I feel I should explain a little. Before the junior prom, my group went to Benihana's (yes, we were very classy). A couple from another high school was there in prom get-up, so our server sat us with them. The guy was a freak and a half. He jabbered on and on while the girl looked miserable. At one point, the guys leaned over toward the girl and said, "My cheek feels balmy. Will you touch my cheek? Does it feel balmy?". The girl looked at him as if he were a disgusting insect and told him he should go check it out in the bathroom. After he left, there was a beat, and then she told us, "He's my boyfriend's younger brother. I owed him a favor". Creepy, damp-cheeked guy + awkward situation + uncomfortable prom dress + too much stir-fry = why I dislike the word balmy.
  8. Filmy. It makes me think of slimey webbed toes.
  9. Flaps. Mud flaps, wing flaps, body flaps...they're all bad. *Cross-referenced with #4.
  10. Orange. Oranges are my least favorite fruit, I hate the way they smell, I hate their disgusting white skins, I hate their vein-y compartments, but most of all I hate pronouncing the word orange.

No comments: