17 December 2008

Things I Like #3

Riccardo Marzi collections



Riccardo Marzi is this sort of expensive/kitschy, faux-high art decorative dinner-ware from Tuscany. When I get married, this is going to be at the top of my gift-list. I saw his stuff in Italy (they have a baller outpost in Florence that lets you see how they--along with other local artisans--make all the stuff: http://www.maestridifabbrica.it/), but they also sell it at Mamma Ro/La Vita Vera, a FABULOUS Italian ceramics importer on Portland's NW 23rd: http://www.mammaro.us/store_locations.htm. Back to Riccardo Marzi. The charming English translation of the Italian website says that Signore Marzi was "grown among craftsmen" in the artistically fertile hillsides outside Florence, but basically he just tweaked the centuries long Tuscan ceramics tradition by "floating" natural objects in high-quality resin platters, bowls, picture frames, lamps, vases, napkin rings--you name it, Riccardo makes plastic molds of it.


Anyway, judging by the Italian website's layout and flowery language, it seems like Marzi might be the Thomas "painting with light" Kincaid of Italy, but whatevs, I loves me some resin platters! And so does the Museum of Modern Art: http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_River%20Stones%20Bowl_10451_10001_24373_-1_11515_11518_null__6H101


If anyone is curious, here are my favorite pieces:

Summertime













Wild Flowers














My all-time favorite is the Wheat and Oranges. Please, someone who loves me, buy me this collection!





OMFGGGGGG, I want it!! Can't you just imagine hosting amazing dinner parties with all this stuff casually displayed on the table or hung on one of the dining room walls? Someday my dream will come true! Even better, perhaps I will marry into the family (he has a son named Andrea) and I will kill two of my dreams with one stone: marring an Italian man and owning a full set of Marzi decorative wear.

No comments: