27 December 2008

Things I Like #4

Self-Referential Art

There are many self-referential works of art that I enjoy, including "Arrested Development", JK Rowling's Beedle the Bard, and Warhol's silk-screens. But this new find combines my love of Hipster Preps and 80s Rock Stars: Vampire Weekend and Peter Gabriel.

I loves me some Vampire Weekend, but I also am loyal to the 80s rock my parents raised me on. Thus, when I found out about a certain inter-mixing yesterday, I realized I had witnessed a Christmas miracle. That's right ladies and gentlemen, Peter Gabriel has finally covered the VW song in which he is so lovingly name-dropped: "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa". His version is charmingly ironic; instead of saying "But this feels so unnatural/Peter Gabriel too", he sings, "It feels so unnatural/to sing your own name". GENIUS!


No comments: