14 July 2009

Reunions

The theme of my 10 days away from Seattle was Reunion.

The first reunion: I went to the family beach house for the 4th with my ENTIRE family. 35 relatives (grandparent, great aunt and uncle, aunts, uncles, cousins, 1st cousins once removed, second cousins...) in one house. Although I would not categorize myself as the most patriotic of young Americans, my family goes all out for the 4th, and the whole weekend was Americana at its finest: we played card games, tanned at our favorite beach on the peninsula, ate ice cream, sat around on the porch while the sun set, brought seven or eight tables outside and ate our dinners al fresco, decorated the house with lots of red, white and blue bunting, played with the millions of dogs running around our property, and set off at least $500 worth of fireworks. Family + a little alcohol + explosives = a great weekend.

The second reunion: the wedding of a childhood friend. It was super surreal to see someone I grew up with standing at the alter, but it was also a fun time, and lots of friends from our Catholic K-8 were there. As there were only 26 people in our class, we were quite close, and it was nice to re-connect with people whom I haven't spent much time with during the past 4 years. We ended up going to a bar after the reception and chatting for two or three hours, and we now have a real reunion in the works for next Christmas. ST. C DRAGON POWER!

No comments: