27 July 2009

Things I Dislike: Sweatiness


How do you stay cool when the mercury rises?

My mother always perscribed a healthy dose of "cold movies". We would sit in our dark family room, its windows and blinds having been closed since 7am, and watch movies that took place in icy, snowy locations. This often led to us watching Christmas classics in the midst of summer.

Since I am not spending these dog days under my mother's watch, I have to figure out my own coping mechanisms. Mainly, these consist of short, cold showers, naps, and alcohol. I know booze makes you hotter, but it also makes you sleepy, and then you can just nap away those unpleasent, sweaty afternoons.

Yesterday I went over to the house of pals Megan and Cara. They live off the Hill in a real neighborhood, complete with backyard and large deck. We sunbathed for a few hours, spritzing each other with the hose every few minutes, and listening to top 40 radio. There's nothing like hip hop when you're frying in the sun. We got sleepy and bored, so around 3pm we chopped up mint leaves and made some stroonnnng mojitos. And we kept on mojito-ing through dinner, through our impromptu 90s dance-music singalong, and through a viewing of Clueless. None of us were very coherent by the time 10pm rolled around, as it was at least 90 deg. inside the house even after the sun went down, and we'd been drinking for a solid 6 hours, and we'd probably sweated a good 10 pounds. However, we managed to make the day go by real quick, which is significantly different than how I remember afternoons filled with my mother's cool-down method. So booze, friends and 90s dance parties it is, then!

No comments: