12 October 2009

History Lessons

Today I went to the gym my family has belonged to for ages and ages in an attempts to feel produtive. This gym is not in my neighborhood, is downtown, is fairly large, and attracts a wide range of...athletes (worker-outers? cardioers? gym rats? gym rats). Therefore, I should not be recognized, right? WRONG. Big wrong.

Today I was recognized by no less than 4 people from my not-so-ancient past:
  1. High school physics teacher. He remembered that I sucked BIG TIME at physics. I told him I haven't used it since the day I left his class. Who burned whom? I'd say it was a wash.
  2. Weird guy from my dad's office. He likes to chat with me about his daughter who lives in SF, and he's very competitive about her successes as we are the same age. For many years I was one-upping her; unfortunetly, she now earns $80,000/year as an accountant.
  3. A vaguely attractive in high school, now definitely attractive XC runner. He told me he has moved home, too. But he is also in law school, so...his attempts at making me feel better ended there. Although chatting about our mutual dislike of Person #1 did lessen my over-all feeling of ickiness at running into the ol' teach.
  4. Annoying chick I danced with for three years. She was the type to bully her way to the front row so everyone would be watching her. Now she's taking a year off from UofO to "re-focus". Uh-huh.

Even taking into account that it's Columbus Day and many people don't have work, I'd say it's about time to find myself another gym. Or maybe I'll have to start wearing one of these to my work-outs.

No comments: