16 November 2009

Things I Like #12

New (Old) Friends

I've been trying to make more friends in P-town, because although I have some good ones here, there's always room for more, right?! This weekend my friend Kayla was in town for a goodbye party. Because everyone in Oregon knows each other, she's like BFFs with a girl I was friends(ish) with in high school. Much of the night was spent recalling who was a cokehead in our graduating class, who is failing at life, and which kids turned into huge(er) sluts when they hit college. She went to UofO, so she has much more access to fellow alumni, and therefore has lots more post-prep school gossip. Anyway, a large group of us took on Portland and explored NE Alberta St, which I like a lot, but don't spend much time on. Kind of 12th Ave meets 15th Ave vibe. Then we tried not to die in Chinatown. Then we got VooDoo donuts and several free drinks at this place called Valentine. Portland men are much friendlier than Seattle men, I have found. Or perhaps they were just more amorous because we were at a place called Valentine.

AND I got two Friendship phone numbers. Score! Friendship phone numbers, I have found, are almost more difficult to obtain than LoveInterest phone numbers. It's very awkward to ask for a Friendship number. The timing has to be just right, you don't want to seem too pushy, you can't use it right away, and you have to be kind of jokey about it--otherwise the Passive-Aggressive, Shy Northwesterner will become very anxious about why you've asked for their number. Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, new friends and new-old friends are fun, and a thing that I like. Keep 'em coming, all ye Friendship Gods!

No comments: