27 April 2009

Things I Like #8

Mix tapes (and websites about them)

I love getting music from people I like. It's oddly revealing about who they are and who they think you are. And, five years down the road, it gives you some awesomely bad music to be nostalgic to.

This website records peoples' long-lost mix tape loves: http://www.cassettefrommyex.com/. It has professional writers' entries as well as post secret-style mailed stories.

In homage to Cassette From My Ex, here are the tracks from a wonderful mix CD I once received:
  1. Penny Lane--Beatles
  2. ABC--Jackson 5
  3. That Summer--Garth Brooks
  4. Lola--The Kinks
  5. Cecilia--Simon & Garfunkle
  6. Me & Bobby McGee--Janis Joplin
  7. Under My Thumb--Rolling Stones
  8. Tupelo Honey-Van Morrison
  9. Hey Tonight--CCR
  10. Stand By Me--John Lennon version
  11. The Boys of Summer--Don Henley
  12. Good Vibrations--Beach Boys
  13. Colorblind--Counting Crows

I still listen to this CD when I drive around in the summer time.


No comments: