10 June 2009

Final Finals Week

Thank the little lord baby Jesus that this is the last time I'll be crammed in SU's creepy study closests on the 4th floor of Lemieux. The creepiest thing about this quarter's study closet extravaganza is that the library is totally devoid of shelves and books, as they've all be transfered to the interim library. I feel like I'm in a post-apocalyptic world, especially since I'm holed up in my study cubby. I'm planning on being in here for about 4 hours today because I have 4 pages left to write. My paper compares the criticisms against the "autobiographies" of Black Elk Speaks and I, Rigoberta Menchu, and while this is somewhat interesting and would have held my attention back in, oh, say, fall quarter Junior year, I'm pretty over it right now. All I want is one of those awesome PB&Js from Watertown and maybe some ice cream from Molly Moon's.

I'll leave you with some literary food for thought. Even though the situation is quite disturbing (the massacre at Wounded Knee), I really like the imagery in this paragraph by Neihardt/Black Elk: "When we got into the timber, a good many Hunkpapas were there already and the soldiers were shooting above us so that leaves were falling from the trees where the bullets struck" (Neihardt 84). Isn't that a rich description of nature/man-made, life/destruction imagery?!

Neihardt, John G. Black Elk Speaks. University of Nebraska Press: Lincoln. 2004 ed.

No comments: